Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog! Come on in and make yourself at home. This blog will contain lots and lots of ideas that I encourage you to tweak
and make your own. I will try to update it at the least every Thursday.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Babushka Doll Pencil Holders




I had this idea a long time ago.  It is another way to use your empty tin cans.  I've always thought little babushka dolls were very cute.  I've seen a lot of different ideas for babushka dolls.  I was originally going to make little felt brooches, but then I was also thinking about how I could use all those cans from making Santa Fe Soup.  So this is what I came up with :)  I hope you enjoy making them as much as I did!

Materials:
Babushka Doll Pattern (I got my pattern from here.*)
Materials
Felt in several colors (I used pink, red, green, purple dark blue and light blue)
Embroidery floss in a variety of colors
Needle
Small embellishments (like little rosettes, bows, beads); optional
Scissors
Tin cans in 3 different sizes
Hot glue gun & Glue
Craft Glue
Markers (definitely one for tracing onto the felt, other colors are optional)
Tape measure (a dressmaker’s tape measure not a construction measuring tape)
Square ruler
pliers

*I copy and pasted the image into a word document.  I resized the image to what I wanted and printed it.  Then I cut out the three largest, traced them onto thin cardboard (a cereal box is ideal) and used them as my template.  I made templates of the head scarves and faces as well.  I made the faces a bit larger than the opening in the scarf because I am going to layer it between the body and the scarf.  I also made the hole for the face in the scarf a tiny bit smaller than I wanted, because when you cut it out of the felt you will cut on the outside of your tracing line making the hole bigger.

Instructions:

Step 2
Step 7-a
Step 4
Step 7-b
Step 8-a
Step 8-b
1.      Using the Babushka doll templates, trace the parts for the babushka dolls.  I made all of their scarves red, their faces pink and then the largest I made have a purple body, the middle one a green body and the smallest one a dark blue body. 
2.       It is easier to sew the faces onto the pink circles before you cut them out.  I made little blue French knots for eyes, little red lazy daisy hearts for the mouth and did small stem stitch noses in black.  If you want you can use a pink marker and make little rosy cheeks.  If you aren’t comfortable making French knots, you can use beads for the eyes.
3.       Cut out the parts, be sure to cut just inside the lines.  To cut the face holes in the scarf pieces cut just outside the lines.  When you are finished you shouldn’t have any evidence of your traced lines.
4.       Attach the pieces together with craft glue.  Using a blanket stitch go around the face and the bottom of the scarf.  Use some decorative stitches to embellish the scarf and body.  If you would like you can add beads or rosettes to add further touches.
5.       Set your babushkas aside.  Make sure your tin cans are clean and free of their labels.  Use pliers to squish down the burr of metal left from detaching the lid.  Measure the height of your cans and add ½ inch.  Measure around the cans and add ¼ - ½ inch.
6.       Use your measurements to draw rectangles on your felt (or you can map it out on paper and then use that as a pattern).  You can make them all the same color or vary the colors.  Use a square to make sure the corners are square.  Measure the diagonals to ensure they measure the same.  Cut the rectangles out just on the inside of the lines.  Embellish the rectangles or leave them plain.
7.       To attach the rectangles to the cans, lay the cans on the end of their respective felt rectangle a little off center with more over hang at the opening end (see picture).  Lightly mark where the can will lie.  Put a bead of glue between the marks you made and attach the can to it.  Put a bead of glue on the edge of the felt glued to the can.  Bring the felt rectangle around the can and attach it to the glue (see picture).  The felt should overlap a little bit creating a seam.
8.       “Kerf” cut the two ends of felt over hang (see picture).  Apply a little hot glue to the ends of two or three kerfs and fold them down.  This just provides a finished look and protects you from any remaining sharp bits on the inside edge of the can.
9.       Attach your Babushkas to the side opposite the seam side with hot glue or craft glue.  Line up your cans larges to smallest.  Use them to store your pens, pencils, scissors or paint brushes, pins, paper clips or whatever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment