Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog! Come on in and make yourself at home. This blog will contain lots and lots of ideas that I encourage you to tweak
and make your own. I will try to update it at the least every Thursday.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Firefly" Jar

Alright so the Costco sized jar of olives are gone, the super yummy Adams peanut butter jar is empty, the large jar of Veganaise is gone.  You've dutifully cleaned the jars out and are about to recycle them, but what if you could do something much more fun with them? Like, say . . . maybe . . . firefly jars?

I made these originally to help decorate my desk at work for the holiday season.  We were having a decorate your space contest at work.  The theme was "recycle, reduce reuse"  So I had these three sizable jars I was going to recycle, but then I had a brain spark.  I would make firefly jars.

Here are the instructions using a lovely glass container I got from Ross.

Materials:
Nice sized glass jars 1 quart size or more (as many as you want to make)
Mod Podge or other clear drying glue
Tissue paper
Paint brush (plastic bristles are preferable)
Scissors (optional)
A string of indoor Christmas lights




Instructions:

  1. Make sure your jars are clean and dry.  Tear the tissue paper into smaller pieces, or if you prefer you can cut it into squares or any other shape you want.  The one in the pictures is Valentine themed.  So I cut some hearts out of the solid color and tore pieces of the designed paper.
  2. Using your paint brush to paint a thin layer of Mod Podge in a small area of the jar and begin sticking the pieces of tissue paper to the area painting a small amount of Mod Podge over the top of each piece.  Continue in this fashion until the jar is covered.  For my example, I attached the solid color hearts in a few places first, then started covering the jar with the torn pieces of tissue paper.  
  3. Be sure to clean your brush thoroughly immediately after you are finished covering your jar(s).  Let your jar(s) dry overnight.  
  4. Gently stuff the lights into the jars, don't force the entire string of lights into one jar (unless it is gallon sized or more) as that could be dangerous.  The lights should fit loosely  inside the jar.  Plug in the lights and enjoy :)
Linus the cat approves of this craft :). 

Tomorrow I will post a picture of the ones I have on my desk at work.

Good night all


jnd

No comments:

Post a Comment