Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog! Come on in and make yourself at home. This blog will contain lots and lots of ideas that I encourage you to tweak
and make your own. I will try to update it at the least every Thursday.

Monday, April 30, 2012

something yummy



Day one of this domestic goddess job has been pretty good.  I haven't accomplish all the stuff I wanted to, but that’s why there is tomorrow.  Right?  So my main goal for the day was to make something yummy for my hubby to take to work for his mid-shift meal.  I haven’t gone to the grocery store recently, so I’m dealing with what I have on hand…eggs + heavy cream + cheese + sundried tomatoes + pie crust = quiche.  I love making quiche.  The basic recipe I use is from “Broccoli Tree Forest” by Molly Katzen.  But I didn’t need to make a whole big quiche for one person.  I have these super cute little quiche dishes, so that’s what I used. 

Here is what I did:

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Put the pre-made pie crust into the bottom of a buttered quiche dish and tore off the excess (there was a lot leftover, just wad it up and put it in the fridge for another project).  Grate some cheese into the bottom of the crust.  Add a few sundried tomatoes. 

In a separate bowl beat one egg fairly well, like you would for scrambled eggs.  Add 1/3 cup heavy cream.  Stir it well, but don’t beat it because it can make the heavy cream get too thick.  This is the custard.  Pour the custard over the cheese and sundried tomatoes.  Dust the top with paprika.  Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes.  Check it by wiggling it a bit if it jiggles like Jello and has puffed up, it’s done.  If it sloshes like water and hasn’t puffed, it isn’t done.  Cook it for 5 more minutes and then check it again (repeat until it is done).

Then I thought since I had the oven on wouldn’t it be nice to have some sweet potato fries. I have my version of Sweet potato fries that I’ve been making for a long time, (sweet potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, sage and olive oil).  The only problem was that I had a serious lack of sweet potatoes.  I had a butternut squash, so I adapted the recipe.  I added onions too, because I had a one that was starting to look a little sad.

Here is what I did:

Peel the butternut squash and cut it into similar length and width slices.  Slice ½ an onion, don’t dice it because it will just burn.  Slice 6-7 cloves of garlic into chunks.  Put all of these things into a large bowl.  Pour a generous amount of olive oil over the top.  Add salt, pepper and dried sage to taste.  Mix until everything is nicely coated with olive oil and the sage is evenly distributed.  Put in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake at 400 F for 20-30  minutes.  Stir them ½ way through the cooking time.  They are done when soft and yummy.

So mission accomplished make something yummy… 

Tomorrow, well my domicile needs some attention.  We have nice hard water so I am going to experiment with getting rid of the stains it leaves behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment